Monday, April 13, 2009

Happy Birthday Stumpie Star!!

We had a FAB birthday party for Stumpie Star - went to a chocolate bar restaurant at the Mirage - deliciously decadent. They put a little candle in the middle of Tara's choc fondue and we all sang for Stumpie. Can you believe it's been a whole year since Tara's amputation! Wow.

On Stumpie's birthday Tara happened to win a prize for her amazing progress in swimming. Such a great sign of how much her life has improved in one year.

As you can see in the pic - she's currently wearing a pretty thick sleeve around the top of her prosthetic - it's because she plays so much that the thinner ones were getting destroyed too quickly. It's funny coz now people will ask her what's wrong with her knee...and get a small surprise when they discover that the rest of the leg isn't quite real!



Other news - I by mistake bullied a photographer into taking a photo of the girls at their Sunday School play on Easter Friday - I thought he was the church photographer and saw he was leaving as we arrived so I did the whole "I don't think you got my girls yet" blah blah. Soooooo embarrassing - turns out he was from the Bullie (The Gold Coast Bulletin) - and apparently the girls featured in the paper yesterday...but we were away in Yamba with Micky Blewitt, Gav etc. - so the newsagent's gonna order in an old copy for us.


Yamba (a town that's like South Africa in the '70s) was fab - including brilliant rainforest walk during a major downpour!

Tara received another lovely letter from Queensland Premier Anna Bligh - after Tara had sent her a Good Luck card for the elections (Ms Bligh won). And Queensland Events phoned last week to discuss an event at the end of this month where they may need Tara to be present in her role as Junior Ambassador of the Gold Coast Marathon. The Premier will be there as well. Will keep you posted.

The girls are happy, lovely and very, very sweet. They even made Granny's bed when they stayed there the other night - without her even asking. Cas had a fantastic adventure in Sydney with her form for a couple of nights, learning about Aussie history.

Jadie was placed third in a local drama competition (how's that for increased confidence!) and a couple of Tara's pics have been chosen for a school Art thingie that's coming up.

Tomorrow Tara and I are off to Brissie for a check-up with the surgeon. She wrote him a card to say thanks for the op. Here's a transcript:

Dear Paul Pincus Thank you for looking after my leg so well. Everyone thinks my stumpy is one of the best stumps that they've ever seen! I really like my stumpy and I am really happy with my stump. I couldn't put on jeans before. I couldn't run fast and keep up with all my friends. I couldn't even play certain games that I loved. Thank you once again. I am so happy with my stumpy and now I can do all the stuff that my friends can do. I'm going in the marathon again this year, and in some other races too. Thanks so much. My stumpy means so much to me. Lots of love Tara xox

Soooo sweet. Hope everyone's well, well, well! Some extra Yamba shots below...

1 comment:

FG Filipa said...

Hi all, Just logged on to see if anything was new and... what a momentous occasion - stumpie's first birthday. And what a year it has been. We were very sad that leggie-lou had to go but now stumpie is the star of the show. You look absolutely great, Tara, and stumpie is just so much part of you now! Really nice of you to write to the premier too. Big hugs all around, and a special kiss for Stumpie! xxx